Orca Books' Used Book Trade-in Policy
Search Here to Order a New Book
WE ONLY OFFER STORE CREDIT FOR USED BOOKS, NOT CASH!
- We trade books every day of the week, with no need for an appointment.
- Our trading hours are 12pm - 6pm Monday-Saturday, and 12pm - 4pm on Sunday.
- Buying hours subject to change.
- We stop trading early if we're having an event, so please call if you plan on bringing books to sell in the late afternoon (Saturdays and Sundays) or after 6pm (Monday-Friday).
HOW IT WORKS
- Bring your books in during our buying hours and a buyer will look at them as soon as possible.
- Timing of trade-in process varies day to day.
- A box or bag might take just 10-15 minutes, but it could also take several hours if there are others ahead of you.
- If you need to leave the store before your books have been assessed, please tell us what time you will return (same day).
- Unless we've pre-authorized it, we do not like books left overnight: space is very limited, and it's hard to keep them from getting mixed up with the hundreds of books coming through the store every day.
- If you don't pick up your books within a week from when we call you, you forfeit your books and your credit.
WHAT WE LOOK FOR
- Whether we take a book depends on a number of factors:
- Condition is the single most important factor. If a book has notes or highlighting; water damage or other stains; foxing or other discoloration; a previous owner's inscriptions, book plates, blind stamps, or other "ex libris" marks; excessive edge wear; or creases along the spine, there's a good chance we will pass on it.
- Our current stock is also a factor: at any given time, we may be overstocked on a particular title.
- There is no fixed amount of credit that we offer for a book.
- The book's age, popularity, scarcity and other factors all play a role.
GETTING STORE CREDIT
- We'll go through the books and make an offer of store credit.
- This credit is generally available for you to use straightaway.
- You are required to take away rejected books after we are done looking at them.
- There are a number of places we can refer you to that accept donations. For example, branch libraries accept book donations for the quarterly Friends of the Library sales. Goodwill also takes most books.
WHAT BOOKS TO BRING IN, AND WHAT NOT TO BRING
- We are a general interest book store, so we look at books in all subjects.
- While there are some exceptions, we try to avoid the following:
- library discards
- book club editions
- multi-volume sets (like encyclopedias or Time Life sets)
- Reader's Digest condensed books
- hardcover fiction that's out in paperback
- games or puzzles
- VHS tapes
- Please do not bring us moldy books! We may choose not to look at an entire box if it contains books that are obviously moldy.
- Please don't bring us boxes full of spiders.
- We frequently deal with twenty or more boxes at a time, so quantity isn't a problem.
- If you're bringing down ten or more boxes we'd appreciate a call first to give us a heads up, but it's not required.
- We prefer to do all buying at our store, but if you have 2,500+ books we might be able to come to you. Please call 360-352-0123 to inquire about house visits for large collections.
- We do not give estimates over the phone.
- We will not do appraisals of items you're not interested in selling.
* Moving out of town or just feeling charitable? There are a number of organizations (school libraries, Books to Prisoners, etc) that would love to have credit. If you wish to donate all or part of your credit to one of these organizations, we'd be happy to do that.
*Trade credit never expires and doesn't require you to keep any sort of voucher. Our system is backed up every three hours and we store a paper copy of each credit slip that's entered into our system, so your credit is always safe with us. If you don't have an account, a name and phone number are all that's required to create one.
* Multiple names can also be kept on one account. We take privacy seriously and will never use your information for any purpose other than to access your account, and we will never sell or lend it to any third party.
*STORE CREDIT IS CHANGING*
FULL DETAILS OF CREDIT CHANGE
Effective January 1, 2019
Store credit may not be used for any new items, this includes:
New books in store
Special ordered new books
Sidelines (such as reading glasses, bookmarks and pens)
Calendars and planners
Cards and journals
NOVEMBER 1 through the end of 2018, customers may use ½ credit on any new item in the store.