Orca Books Co-op Information
Search Here to Order a New Book (Through Our Distributor, Not Indicative of In Store Stock!)
Purchase a Co-op Membership Here!
Orca Books Co-op is a multi-stakeholder co-op with two membership types: Basic Consumer, Low-Income Consumer. Each member pays a fee for membership which grants certain benefits, discounts, and
voting rights. A board of directors is composed of such members and two staff. A growing number of local businesses that utilize the co-op model in Olympia, such as New Moon Cafe, Dumpster Values and the Olympia Food Co-op.
On April 1st, 2020, Orca Books Inc transitioned into a worker-run, member-owned cooperative business model, now known as Orca Books Co-op. Customers now have the option of purchasing a lifetime membership and becoming a co-op member of Orca Books. Forming a cooperative enables us to continue providing affordable, quality books to the Olympia community while supporting our staff with secure and fulfilling jobs … and providing a loving home for everybody’s favorite shop cat, Orlando.
Perks of being a Co-op Member include...
- A lifetime 10% discount on all products in the store.
- The right to vote in elections for the Board of Directors (one vote per member)
- Access to member-only sales, special events, etc
- Access to a snazzy member newsletter with bonus content like surveys and pictures of Orlando
- The ability to turn into an actual orca during the full moon
- Bragging rights
• BOOK TRADE - Orca prides itself in being a community hub for book trade, resource sharing, and community re-cycling.
• FREE EVENTS - We host book groups and dozens of literary and political events every year.
• COMMUNITY WORKSHOP & MEETING SPACE - We are currently reorganizing our space so to allow for even more community events and meet-ups.
• CONSIGNMENT PROGRAM - We are happy to consign the work of local authors and artisans.